Contact us if you can offer an Alex youth an opportunity:
- Y.E.S. placement – hosted or unhosted
- Learnership – hosted or unhosted
We have small businesses and NGOs willing to host for you.
AlexWorks is a for-profit 100% black-owned Level 1 BBBEE company, owned by Rays of Hope and founded to provide a sustainable source of income for the work in Alex.
Young people from Alex will benefit hugely from being offered Y.E.S. placements and learnerships. However these opportunities could have an even greater impact if:
- Young people could be given opportunities aligned to their interests and skills
- Basic work readiness and simple money management could be provided up front
- Expectations and workplace behaviours explained
- Tips provided on how to maximise the opportunity
- Young people could be “checked on” on a regular basis to deal with any concerns or issues
This is where AlexWorks can make a difference.
Services provided by AlexWorks include:
- Finding and developing a database of young people who are available for YES placements and learnerships
- Collecting and organising all the documents required (CV, ID, bank details, SARS number, etc.)
- Conducting psychometric tests to determine areas of interest and skills & weaknesses
- Training on work readiness and life skills prior to the start of the learnership / Y.E.S. placement
On-site check-in and problem solving
Other Partnership opportunities
(utilising Skills Development spend)
- Upskill current employees on much-needed life skills through our 5-day training course
- Train an unemployed person from Alex to equip him/her for future employment
- Give a graduate / new hire a good start to their working career with our training
Life coaching with Rays of Hope
In addition to finding opportunities for Alex youth, Rays of Hope wants to start a Youth Support group that will provide this key group of people with spiritual, emotional and psychosocial input, to prepare them to tackle any opportunity more effectively.
Other income generating initiatives:
Rays of Hope runs a VIP Parking initiative at Hyde Park Corner and Sandton City. Through these projects, men from Alexandra are employed to assist shoppers and manage on-the-door reserved parking, for which shoppers pay a premium. Be sure to look out for our VIP Parking:
Hyde Park Corner – at the Woolworths entrance;
Sandton City – at Entrance 2, close to the lifts (currently on hold due to lockdown)
Rays of Hope receives a lot of second-hand clothing from a variety of sources. This clothing is sorted and sold at monthly jumble sales to the community of Alex and others, to provide a source of income for Rays of Hope.
All donations welcome!
You can be part of the change
- Provide job opportunities – contract or permanent
- Provide training around a skill set
- Provide volunteer opportunities for people to get experience, even though it is unpaid. It’s needed to build their CVs
- Second-hand clothing donations
- Placing a clothing collection box at your company