GOGOS OF HOPE
In Alexandra, Grannies (affectionately known as “Gogos”) play a vitally important role in the community. They are the unsung heroes as they fill in the family gap as nurturers for the next generation. Gogo groups provide a place where Grannies in Alexandra can be cared for, encouraged and supported so that they can carry their unexpected and untimely burden effectively, and leave an optimistic legacy for the next generation.
Each week four groups of Grannies meet together to sing, pray, talk, read the Bible, dance, and learn. They share a cup of tea and something small to eat, and find in each other mutual understanding and common ground. This gives them the strength to encourage, support, and care for those in the next generations that are dependent on them.
They also knit, crochet and sew small items, which are then sold for money to support their families.
You can be part of the change
- Donations of fabric, wool or beading items
- Teaching Gogos skills like sewing, crochet or beading
- Marketing the products made by the Gogos
- Donating fresh vegetables and sandwiches for the support group
- Donating basic non-perishable food for the food parcels that the Gogos receive every three months