Ignition Tertiary Support Programme
The Ignition programme selects matriculants from Alexandra schools and provides them with a matrix of support to enable each one to study at a tertiary level or complete technical training, with the goal of finding sustainable employment.
Fast Facts on our Students
- Ignition students have maintained an average pass rate of at least 85% since 2015
- Up to 16% of courses are passed with distinction
- Each student has a staff mentor and a volunteer mentor with whom they meet monthly
- 75% of our students are studying towards a degree. Others are studying diplomas, national certificates or undertaking learnerships
Our students are finding work in industries as varied as microbiology, HR, estate agency admin, airline ground crew, oral hygiene and interning at Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres International). We continue our mentorships during this first year of employment.
Our students that graduated are fully qualified in their chosen fields of auxilliary social work, fitter & turner, end user IT/office administration and economics.
This is a wonderfully stark contrast against an article published in Business Day in March 2017. Click here for article
“The Department of Higher Education released a report in 2015 highlighting that 47.9% of university students did not complete their degrees. Black students had the highest drop-out rate, with 32.1% leaving in their first year”
You can be part of the change
- Opportunities to place our graduates
- Work experience and job-shadowing opportunities for all our students
- Raising funds for our current students so that we can continue to assist new students entering our programme
- Raising awareness within your networks for the need we have for funding, to continue our work
- Sign up as a potential mentor, for next year’s intake of students
- Volunteer time to assist our one part time staff member with important administration tasks & marketing for funding