The Ignition programme selects matriculants from Alexandra schools and provides them with a matrix of support to enable each one to study at a tertiary level or complete technical training, with the goal of finding sustainable employment.
Fast Facts on our 2017 students
- 48 semester courses registered for (43 first time courses, 5 repeat courses), in total.
- 91% of the first-time courses were passed.
- 88% of all courses were passed.
- 35% were distinctions (including 1 CUM LAUDE in BComm Economics!)
- 8 ex-students started full time work in 2017
finding work in industries as varied as microbiology, HR, estate agency admin, airline ground crew, oral hygiene and interning at Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres International). We continue our mentorships during this first year of employment.
- 4 students graduated from their studies in 2017
and are fully qualified in their chosen fields of auxilliary social work, fitter & turner, end user IT/office administration and economics.
This is a wonderfully stark contrast against an article published in Business Day in March 2017. Click here for article
“The Department of Higher Education released a report in 2015 highlighting that 47.9% of university students did not complete their degrees. Black students had the highest drop-out rate, with 32.1% leaving in their first year”
You can be part of the change
- Opportunities to place our graduates
- Work experience and job-shadowing opportunities for all our students
- Raising funds for our current students so that we can continue to assist new students entering our programme
- Raising awareness within your networks for the need we have for funding, to continue our work
- Sign up as a potential mentor, for next year’s intake of students
- Volunteer time to assist our one part time staff member with important administration tasks & marketing for funding