RoseAct Saturday School
Every Saturday, close to 300 young people in grades 4 – 10 arrive at Pholosho Secondary School for extra Mathematics and English classes. All classes are taught by an army of volunteers, including several RoseAct alumni.
This is our longest running programme and has impacted thousands of people in Alex.
Students are rewarded for academic achievement throughout the year, but RoseAct also provides social and spiritual enrichment through holiday clubs, an annual camp and extra mural activities, including chess, spelling bees, dance, and various board games. This positively impacts the children’s well-being as well as their academic results. Many of the children who joined the programme were extremely weak but have dramatically improved through RoseAct tutoring.
How can you partner with us:
- Sponsor A Child – monthly amount to enable a child to be part of this programme
- Class Tutors: Two tutors share a class of around 25 students for two hours every Saturday. They work from a prescribed curriculum with assistance from a curriculum coordinator, which maximizes the learning for each child. Tutor training takes place a minimum of four times a year.
- Assistants: Assistants work alongside tutors with class admin, discipline and some teaching.
- Administration Assistants: Volunteers play a crucial role in giving their time to help Rose-Act with administration, fundraising and educational research, which keeps Rose-Act up to date with current academic trends.
- Evaluation and Monitoring Assistant: A volunteer to take raw data, evaluate the results, and translate them in a visually meaningful manner, e.g. producing graphics.