Early Childhood Development
Akanani ECD Centre
Our Akanani ECD centre is where over 60 young children receive quality pre-primary education in four classes. This centre has a well-equipped and big play ground, which is very seldom found in Alex.
Good early childhood development education is essential to provide a solid foundation to further learning at school.
What makes Akanani different from other ECD centres in Alex?
- All teaching is done in English, which ensures that the children have a good understanding of the language by the time they start formal schooling. This is key to ensuring that they don’t fall into the bracket of not being able to read with understanding in Grade 4.
- The children receive nutritious meals every day as opposed to pap, which is sadly commonly found in most centres in Alex.
- The premises have a spacious play-area, which allows the children to exercise and play, as all children should be able to do, but which does not happen much in Alex as there is little space.
- Parents are engaged in the learning process, home visits are conducted and psychosocial support provided to ensure that the child and their family benefits from the programme
Sponsorship opportunities exist for each of the little ones attending the centre, as their fees only cover a small percentage of the costs.
How you can partner with us:
- Sponsor a Child – monthly support to enable a child to attend our ECD Centre (details at the link)
- Donations of educational toys and books
- Donations towards fortified porridge and protein, such as peanut butter, chicken, tinned fish, mince, etc.